View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 8:55 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 New Bio-Composter Video 

Post New Bio-Composter Video
I thought you would appreciate this video I put up, showing the operation of my bio-composter from Jerry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKYvYWMHH4Y&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by BorealWormer on Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Embed video - BW

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:27 am
Profile Send private message WWW
Global Moderator

Post Re: New Bio-Composter Video
Nice vid! I've cross posted it (link) to the BSF Vids thread. Jerry is away at the moment (link) but I'm sure he'll comment when he returns.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:50 pm

Thanks, BorealWormer.

Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:04 pm
Site Admin

C.S., thank you very much for posting that video. I haven't seen anyone post anything like it and it's very rewarding. I'm still trying to get caught up, but I'll be back soon and post some questions and observations.

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:49 pm
Site Admin

Sorry it took me so long to come back and comment. I really did enjoy the video. Of course I have to offer some feedback! :D

Everything seems to be working, although I would add bulking material. The bulk creates a filter of sorts and also serves as a matrix that promotes air spaces throughout the compost. I assume that porous material like mulch and charcoal provide a substrate for beneficial bacteria to live, although I would leave the final word to people who know more than I about that. I came up with the idea of bulking material as a filter and to provide air spaces. In one test I found there was about 35% air space in the compost. This was measured in 4 gallons of compost in one of my 6 gallon composters, and the volume of air space was 1.5 gallons. I started that particular unit by filling it about 40% full with pine bark mulch and charcoal before ever adding any waste. I do encourage experimentation, so please just take these comments as feedback for your consideration.

During times where you have a lot of migration out of the system I will often see congestion in the exit plumbing like that in your video. When I see that I simply remove the harvest container and push them through. This is probably easier when using the canister that the current model uses for a collection container.

Thanks for taking the time to record and post this video.

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:12 pm

Thanks for the feedback, Jerry. How much bulking material would you add? I just added the charcoal and coir that was provided with the kit. I have access to additional mixed tree woodchips too, though, as in the type that tree trimming companies produce on job sites. Would those work well? I am very keen to keep the system aerated, so any good tips in that department are welcome.

As for the blockage of the exit chute, we typically just push them through into the bag, like you said.

I've noticed that big migration activity is cause by both excessive moisture (like in the video) and by hot days.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:16 am
Site Admin

c.s., since I shipped your unit I've increased the amount of bulking material to about 40% of the total composter volume. I know that sounds like a lot, but this serves as the filter medium. My favorite size/shape to date is available as pine bark orchid bedding. I think any mulch similar in size and shape will work, but there's room for variation. I've been operating one unit this summer with corn cob bedding (small pieces) as the bulk, and although is drains more slowly it still drains very well compared to typical BSF systems. (Yes, I had an issue once with a cheaper pine bark, but it was easily solved) If you flood the unit so that the compost is suspended, you can easily mix in the new material.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:35 pm

Woah! So you feed the farm while it is actually flooded? That is interesting.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:06 pm
Site Admin

When I wrote about adding new material while it's flooded, I meant bulking material. I normally add new food just after flooding and draining/flushing the composters. The flooding usually causes the juveniles to begin migrating and adding new food motivates them to stay.

That said, black soldier fly larvae often have no problem eating in a flooded environment.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:31 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 9 posts ]