View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun May 19, 2019 6:31 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Bio-composter modification - effluent collection bucket 
Site Admin

Post Bio-composter modification - effluent collection bucket
Most BSF composter designs try to prevent larvae from passing through the drain outlet, but in mine larvae (mostly juveniles) are normally present in the pipes. The advantage is that the larvae constantly pass through the slots in the pipes, keeping the system draining well. When draining the effluent (liquid waste) you can simply pass it through a wire mesh strainer and return any collected larvae back to the composter. This procedure is quick and simple, and is a small price to pay for the benefit of an effective filtration system. This only works properly when there is a significant layer of bulking material such as mulch or hardwood lump charcoal which serves as the filter medium.

Recently I've been working with a system that can drain continuously so that daily attention isn't required. This effluent collection bucket may also serve the additional function of helping to cool the compost. Using this system I can leave the larvae and effluent in the bucket for a few days with a fairly good survival rate.

Attachment:
effluent bucket.jpg
effluent bucket.jpg [ 181.06 KiB | Viewed 5609 times ]

The cooling effect I mentioned would happen as heat from the compost rises through the slotted vertical drain pipe in the composter. This would pull cooler air from the bucket into the compost via the vinyl drain tube. The purpose of the cardboard roll seen in the lid is filling a ventilation hole that allows fresh air into the bucket. The cardboard prevents adult BSF and other flying insects from entering the bucket, and in addition serves as an egg collector.

A length of pipe connects the valve to the lid. The lid is equipped with a pvc female adapter that receives the pipe. No glue is used on the fittings so that the lid can be removed for emptying and cleaning.

It may sound like a lot of work to deal with the effluent and the larvae that are in it, but I assure you it takes very little time. I hope to record a video of process in the near future so you can see the routine.

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:08 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Post Re: Bio-composter modification - effluent collection bucket
Hi Jerry,

Are you still selling your units? I am looking to purchase one.
please email me
Thank you

Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:36 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Jporres welcome to our forum :) If you'd like you can introduce yourself here (link).

It might be a few days before Jerry gets back to you as life is keeping him busy elsewhere. I've removed your email address from your post to keep you from being a victim of spam-bots. Jerry will be able to reach you through your profile.

BW
admin

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:16 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

I'm going to have to try this out! I have juvenile larvae crawling in the drainage hose, crawling out anywhere they can.
can you post better pic, please.
Thanks in advance (TIA)
Johanna

Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:50 am
Profile Send private message
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]