View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Rickydilia from Oshawa, Canada 

Post Rickydilia from Oshawa, Canada
Hey, thanks to Boreal Worm and Jerry for keeping the forum going since 2011!...and also for admitting me in it! Hopefully I have as much resilience as you guys, and give this community the same contribution you have have given.

You can call me Rickydilia I live in Oshawa Ontario Canada, and I just finished my bachelors in mechanical engineering. In my last year of undergrad I came across a news article about Enterra feed in Langley BC, and I fell in love with the idea of farming BSFL. I have been reading research since. I currently have two cages, one indoors and one outdoors. I will attach the pictures in the according folder in a bit! I started my first generation in May of this year but haven't been successful at opposition yet. However, from the different experiences in this forum I understand this in not an easy feat, so i will try to be as resilient as this bugs! I have read through a lot of this forum contents but not all (yet).

I find there is too much entropy in the life cycle of the BSF and my crusade as an engineer of nature is to find a methodology to consistently rear BSF indoors in an artificial setting. I want to start in the rearing or mating of the flies using artificial light. Jeff K Tomberlin is a leading expert in BSF, he has a research where with a 500 watt halogen lamp, he was able to obtain 60% of intended matings. I believe that by using a combination of UV light and LED light we could isolate and locate the ideal light wavelengths and lux intensity to obtain more matings with less power; halogen light is not meant to produce UV light and it wastes power on visual wavelengths we don't know the flies can see or if those ranges influence the behavior. That will be my next experiment, will keep this forum posted.

Long story short, my name is Rickydilia and I will try to engineer BSF 8-)

Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:41 am
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: Rickydilia from Oshawa, Canada
Rickydilia welcome to our forum from a fellow Canuck. Looking forward to hearing more about your project.

There's some info about lighting in the Small Scale Indoor Breeding topic (link) as well as elsewhere in the forums. Use the search function to track them down.

Mike
aka BW

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:20 pm
Profile Send private message WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]