View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 ProEnto Mexico 

Post ProEnto Mexico
Hello everybody,

BorealWormer invited me to introduce myself here.. Here it comes:

With ProEnto we are planning to produce BSFL in Mexico on a commercial scale. Originally we are from The Netherlands and we were in the catering/restaurant business as well as in IT. We want to produce insects as "Feed & food of the Future", because we believe we need to change our protein intake substantially if we want to feed the world in the next decades. As there is no sufficient land and water to produce the crops we need to feed our animals in the future, we believe insects are the best alternative to make a change and make the revolution needed to prevent a global food crisis...

We initiated our first production in April this year and so far we are doing well. We have been learning a lot and made the mistakes everybody makes in the beginning. Seen a lot of video's from some of you guys here and read almost every publication we could find about rearing BSF, substrates, lighting and so on.

We currently work in a small greenhouse, which has limited options to automate the climate control. Overheating has been a problem several times as well as a difficult to control humidity. We have succesful mating with artificial lighting, but are lucky to have plenty of sun as well, one of the reasons to start in Mexico.

We developed the climate control for the nursery, grow room and pupation area and we expect to upscale in the next months.
Also we are working together with Dutch and Mexican Universities to develop a food safety protocol when producing larvae on different waste streams.

Any questions? feel free to send an PM.
Interested to invest in a commercial and sustainable project, feel free to PM me as well.

C. Roskam
ProEnto
http://www.ProEnto.com

Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:47 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: ProEnto Mexico
Welcome C. Roskam. If you also have a wild population of BSF we would love to add your location to our Black Soldier Fly Mapping Project (link). See the Range and Identification section (link) for instructions.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:52 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Thanks Borreal,

I know the map and yes, our population is from the wild, but not from the location where we are currently producing.
Where we got them from is still a big secret... :-)

Greetz,
C.

Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:58 pm

ProEnto did you see the article in the knowledge base about the difference in productivity between different sub-populations of BSF? The Wuhan population was 20% more voracious than the American or Guangzhou population. I hope you got yours from there.

Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:05 pm

Hi Assiemoo,

We are working with native Mexican species, but they are not from the area where we are located ourselves.

I read about the differences in chinese and american species, it's interesting to see there are big differences.
But, I would like to mention that a lot of studies are based on lab testing with small amount of larvae/flies and mostly with chicken feed or cow manure as the main diet. This makes it sometimes difficult to interpret the results correctly, if possible at all..

Thanks for your comment! Probably will be talking with you some day ...

Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:25 pm
Site Admin

Hi ProEnto, welcome!

I'm involved in catering also. I know you've seen huge amounts of food wasted...

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:09 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Hi,

I am breeding BSF for my home waste in Veracruz. Hope I can visit your operation some day.

Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]