View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Hi from Kentucky 

Post Hi from Kentucky
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and new to black fly larvae. I'm from Eastern Kentucky and an avid composter.

Late last summer I moved a compost barrel I have and filled it with material gotten from cleaning out my chicken house. A couple of weeks later I took a look and found about half the compost gone and a zillion of these little things crawling all over each other. I had to look up what they were.

As cold weather got here I noticed that the larvae are no longer visible. I'm wondering if they will come back as the weather warms up or what I can do to reestablish them. I have no idea how I got them but would like to keep them around.

Any information or suggestions will be appreciated.

Foghorn

Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:03 pm
Profile Send private message

Post Re: Hi from Kentucky
Welcome Foghorn. I'm new myself and haven't gotten my system running yet, but based on the research it is possible that your compost still has larvae towards it's center. They halt development in the cold, and generate a fair amount of heat. If they are still there, they will probably resume their growth cycle when it's warmer. If they were killed off, you may have to just keep doing what you did previously and hope to attract another female to lay eggs. From what Iv'e read from other posters, this sounds like it's pretty easily done.

Alternatively, if you're sure they are gone, and it's warm enough, you can order larvae and place them, but this seems like it's probably more trouble than its worth.

But like I said, I have 0 hands-on experience with these things. Hopefully someone with a system can chime in their input too.

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:46 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: Hi from Kentucky
Hi foghorn. I answered your questions in your other post (link).

Since you have a wild population of BSF we would love to add your location to our Black Soldier Fly Mapping Project (link). See the Range and Identification section (link) for instructions.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:43 pm
Profile Send private message WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]