View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 2:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 hello everyone :) im looking for fellow floridians 

Post hello everyone :) im looking for fellow floridians
im in citrus county florida and am looking for some other people to go look at yalls setups and show you mine and such :)

Attachments:
1417098603953.jpg
1417098603953.jpg [ 41.57 KiB | Viewed 2522 times ]
Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:21 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: hello everyone :) im looking for fellow floridians
chaossmurf welcome to our forum :) If you're in a hurry have a look at our Black Soldier Fly Mapping Project (link) for folks in Florida.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:38 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

ironic that theres 2 people in citrus county I think I noticed and neither are on that map ---by the way I cant figure out how to add my grub to it either ---maybe they didn't figure it out either hehehe ---wish I had know of this site this weekend --I had to order some offline :(

Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:33 pm

drats I was hoping someone would have contacted me on here by now ---guess il throw my phone number into here and see if anyone sees it from near me here in florida 352 423 3666 ive got myself a 4ft cube built out of 2x4s and screenporch screening in my garage and hve had a buncha flies hatch out & cant seem to get them to mate & start laying eggs :( which sucks seeing how much money ive spent on these bugges :( I was hoping theyd be mating so I can get a few generations of matings & eggs going in there to really start being able to get them eating my scraps ------any advice would be great

should I add a oscilating fan near the cage
maybe a humidifier ? but thatd make my garage a damned swamp :(
how big should my drain holes be in the bottom of the bins
do they HAVE to have a plant in there to breed on ?
ive tried adding brownsugarwater into the cage too see if that got them horny & don't notice any change
can someone possibly post a picture of them as really small grubs ??? im wondering if maybe these really small grubs are them or houseflies or knats ?
id be more than happy to chat with anyone whos got some decent experiences with these things --even if you don't live near me & id truly love to visit anyone near me to see yours --or let ya swing by & see my setup --or both :)

Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:52 pm
Global Moderator

chaossmurf wrote:
---by the way I cant figure out how to add my grub to it either ---maybe they didn't figure it out either hehehe

See the Range and Identification section (link) for instructions.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:05 pm
Global Moderator

chaossmurf wrote:
... can someone possibly post a picture of them as really small grubs ??? im wondering if maybe these really small grubs are them or houseflies or knats ?

See the Photo reference guide for identifying Black Soldier Flies (link) for pictures of all stages in their life cycle.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:08 pm
Global Moderator

chaossmurf wrote:
... ive got myself a 4ft cube built out of 2x4s and screenporch screening in my garage and hve had a buncha flies hatch out & cant seem to get them to mate & start laying eggs
Curious as to why you're trying to captive breed when they're likely native in your location? The Attracting black soldier flies-the basics (link) topic can show you how to attract wild BSF.

Have a look at the Small Scale Indoor Breeding topic (link) for data on what conditions are required.

There's a wealth of information here in the forums in past posts. Please use the search function to seek out specific data.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:15 pm

well drats the little white suckers starting to crawl all over my garage floor don't seem to be BSF they have black mouths or heads or??? my eyes aren't good enuff to tell wth is black --but its on the front end

and reson im trying to do them captively bred inside is ---everything in my neighborhood found out I was trying it outside & would break into my bin nightly and eat my grubs & drag food scraps all over my driveway ---was a nasty mess ---so im hoping to do it in my garage to avoid scavengers basicaly

Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]