View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 5:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Hello from Albuquerque NM 

Post Hello from Albuquerque NM
Matt here in Albuquerque NM.

A few years ago I was actively loading a hay-bail box with kitchen/leafs compost pile and a black plastic rolling compost box. Both ended up infested with BSF at some point. I didn't know anything about BSF at that time and ignored it more or less and the BSF seemed to fade away. But now I'm interested in aquaponics so BSF has entered my attention.

I bought some buckets, loaded them with smelly stuff and cardboard and plastic flutes for egg catching. I brought some seemingly inactive mature compost over from a friends house who had BSF in his yard. For the last few weeks I thought I was just raising house flies. But in the last few days I've started seeing BSF in the yard. I started digging through my maggoty buckets and found a bunch of mature (black/armored) grubs, surely BSF. As I was stirring around in my buckets, I saw a couple females hunker down right in front of me and lay eggs on the stuff I was looking at. Today I found eggs in the cardboard and plastic flutes in the buckets. So I'm clearly off and running. :)

OB pictures from the last few days:

Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:50 am
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: Hello from Albuquerque NM
Matt welcome to our forum :) Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences with BSF.

Since you have a wild population of BSF we would love to add your location to our Black Soldier Fly Mapping Project (link). See the Range and Identification section (link) for instructions.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:35 am
Profile Send private message WWW
Global Moderator

Post Re: Hello from Albuquerque NM
therealmatt wrote:
... OB pictures from the last few days:

How To Add Videos and Pictures To Your Posts(link)

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:38 am
Profile Send private message WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]