View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 3:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 New to BSF near Fort Worth, TX - aquaponics feed 

Post New to BSF near Fort Worth, TX - aquaponics feed
Howdy!
I'm looking into raising BSFL for fish feed in an aquaponics system. I'm also considering selling them to area bait shops. Does anyone have experience with either of these uses for BSFL?

Also, I live in north Texas, so it gets HOT here in the summer and we have a short period of freezing weather in the winter. Any suggestions for an outdoor growing colony in this area? Location, safety, efficiency, etc. I'm thinking of building a screened enclosure to keep the flies close, with a growing bin or two inside.

Looking forward to getting to know folks here!

~Becky~

Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:17 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: New to BSF near Fort Worth, TX - aquaponics feed
Hi Becky and welcome to our forums. Be aware that currently I believe the law in the USA prohibits feeding them to anything destined for human consumption. See the topic on Regulations regarding feeding insects to livestock (link)

There's lots of info in past posts so be sure to use the Search function (link) for the forum which is also at the top of every page.

Also if you have a wild population of BSF we would love to add your location to our Black Soldier Fly Mapping Project (link). See the Range and Identification section (link) for instructions.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:27 pm
Profile Send private message WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]