View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Howdy from Noth Texas 

Post Howdy from Noth Texas
Howdy fellas and ladies!
I reckon I should start by telling about our small homestead. My wife and I raise meat goats and meat rabbits. We are going to get milk goats once we attain more land. I am in the process of building an aquaponics system and I plan to raise bass. I started raising BSF'S at the start of the summer. We enjoy the little critters. We feed them food scraps from the table and goat and rabbit manure. They do really well on it. And I just talked a local coffee shop into saving me all of their coffee grounds for me! Anyway I am also a woodworker and my wife and I are wannabe blacksmiths (still learning).

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:34 pm
Profile Send private message

Post Re: Howdy from Noth Texas
Sorry my phone was acting up and I couldn't finish typing. Anywho I look forward to learning amd disscussing BSF's here with yall and maybe sharing my limited knowledge with yall also

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:36 pm
Global Moderator

Welcome to our community. You didn't mention what your end use for the larvae is but you might want to check out the Regulations regarding feeding insects to livestock (link) topic.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:46 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Howdy Mr. Hockett,

Nice to see you here, I just joined myself. I'm a North Texan myself, though I now live and raise my children in suburban Denver, Colorado. I'm also doing the rabbit manure and testing them day by day with other things, but I only started last week. You have more experience than I do, so I am looking forward to learning your knowledge.

If you have the inclination to document how you do your setup, BW gave me this advice:

A separate thread in the Cultivation section would be great.
viewforum.php?f=17

Marlon

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:13 am

@borealwormer, I appreciate the link and O will read it more thoroughly tonight. My end goal for the larvea os to feed them to my fish and to chickens. I would never feed them to my goats in any form. Science or no science my common sense says that animal protien or insect for that matter lol would be unhealthy for a ruminants sensitove digestive system. As far as the usda goes though I think I should be fine as we do not sell any of our meat. It is for our own personal use. Sorry if that came off mean it wasnt directed towards you. I just can't believe that these scientists would feed animal fats and protiens back to a ruminant..... sticks in my craw just a bit.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:33 pm

@Marwood0 thanks for the welcome. I will most definetly document my setup. However keep on mind that mine is very..... very crude. But it is effective. I plan to make some new bins for next season and have at least 4 colonies!

Also I forgot to say I plan on building an indoor worm bin for the winter time and feeding them the frass from the BSF's and letting them break it down even further. I fogure with it starting out as rabbit manure whoch is one of the best manures available. And then having it broken down twice I will have some primo garden soil.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]