View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Hello from Iowa! 

Post Hello from Iowa!
Hello!

I am very, very early in the research and learning phase. We raise a small flock of backyard chickens, free range, on 2.5 acres in north-central Iowa,, heartiness zone 5. Right now, we have just used an ordinary composting system to manage bedding and manure. This year, we are planning a strip of pollinator-friendly plants along our ditchline, as well as consumable Amaranth plants for food for us and the chickens.

This has been a long, rough winter, and I've researched and started planning a mealworm set up to get us through next year. Mealworms will be easy enough, but they are not a true composter - I will have to buy feed items to feed and maintain them. I started looking for a way to manage manure, and stumbled on the Black Soldier Fly.

I have found out online that they survive as far north as Canada! But not anything specific as far as how to help them over-winter outside. I do not want to set up a fly habitat inside my house, no matter how beneficial. ;) I don't have the room, even if I wanted to.

Does anyone have any links, ideas or resources you could direct me to, so I can try to figure it out?

Thank you!

Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:39 pm
Global Moderator

Post Re: Hello from Iowa!
Welcome to our forum.

You might be able to use an insulated bin. An active bin can generate a lot of heat and there has been some experimenting with keeping colonies active outside during the winter with insulated bins. A site (sorry the link is dead now) reported "The difference in temperature between inside and outside the unit can exceed at times 82F or 45 C."

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]