View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Hello from Eugene Oregon 

Post Hello from Eugene Oregon
Hello, my name is Meeshka, I'm loving this forum so far even though I'm potentially far from being able to cultivate BSF myself as I am in a temporary situation here. I just moved to Eugene after never thinking previously that I would live here. I'm a musician but only recently has that been true, my partner is the real musician and I accompany him with a washtub bass. Playing music has been a life long dream that I never thought would happen, nor did I want to pursue it due to mom's warnings of lifelong poverty. So far he and I have been very successful at making a living, which truly is just getting by. I'm used to being broke, but I want to be able to support us in other side endeavors, which is why I'm here

I have a very interesting background from moving all over the west side of the US. MT, NM, AZ, TX, WA, OR, CA, CO. I developed an interest in gardening at a young age and have had space to experiment with compost over the years. I was a breakfast cook in Portland for a while in a restaurant that separated food waste that I took home with me. I was trying to move towards simple living and sustaining myself from whatever land I was living. Its not an easy task, and I was far from it.

I eventually learned about beekeeping from and amazing women named Jacqueline Freeman, I took my knowledge to Austin and worked for an organization that would relocate unwanted swarms and hives, often times that had made home in someone's wall. We were the alternative to the exterminator, we raised awareness about them as well. Some of the hives we would take to schools and teach kids how to care for them. It was heaven for a while, but I needed to learn more. I currently have one hive in Southern Oregon that my friends are taking care of on their off the grid home, where I lived for two years after Austin.

In Southern Oregon I learned about natural building by taking a 3 week workshop and we built an entire structure out of cob (adobe) and strawbale. I also learned a lot of other skills surrounding natural building, like rain water catchment and composting toilets to grey water systems. I got along really well with the family that ran these classes and left Austin to live there permanently.

I ended up falling in love with this place and the people in the valley, but money was still an issue. So I found myself leaving the land to make money, usually babysitting, but my x partner and I had the idea of making ceramic massage tools that I would market to the online community I was a part of and I realized in order to do that I needed more computer skills, so I went back to school in Portland to learn web design. I took about a year of classes and stopped when I learned that working with my ex was going to be a difficult task and not worth the effort. We get along, but he is a lazy and talented human.

Anyways there is a little history, and its all coming from my intention to live differently then I am accustomed to simply to avoid participating in a system that I think is insane. I hope to have my own farm that I can sell fertilizer, keep bees and play music.

THanks for reading

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
Global Moderator

Post Re: Hello from Eugene Oregon
Welcome Meeshka. There have been BSF populations reported in your area but we always welcome more additions to our Black Soldier Fly Mapping Project (link). If you find you do have a wild population of BSF see the 'Range and Identification' section (link) for instructions.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:19 pm
Profile WWW

Hi Meeshka,
You have indeed had an interesting life so far - I hope that you will get your farm one day.

-Aussiemoo

Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:35 am

Here they are, any one know how to identify?

Attachments:
IMG_3299.jpg
IMG_3299.jpg [ 61.39 KiB | Viewed 6082 times ]
IMG_3296.jpg
IMG_3296.jpg [ 181.42 KiB | Viewed 6082 times ]
Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
Global Moderator

Meeshka wrote:
Here they are, any one know how to identify?
They do look like BSFL. See the Photo reference guide for identifying Black Soldier Flies (link)

Are these in your compost pile? If there are any adults around it would be great to see a picture.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:39 pm
Profile WWW

I haven't seen any adults yet, but I did put some of the plastic cardboard like sign material around the compost in hopes that if there are then they will lay eggs and stick around.

Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:09 pm
Profile WWW

Meeska, I don't know what size flutes your signboards have, but they definitely go for the smaller holes.
This is 2 mm & 3 mm Coroplast; with the 2mm being the most popular.
Cardboard will work just as well.

Attachments:
Laying.jpg
Laying.jpg [ 31.34 KiB | Viewed 6057 times ]
Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:43 pm

Thanks Pete, I think mine are the smaller sized. I have it hanging above the compost. Its starting to get cold so I hope some mating happens soon.

Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:30 pm
Profile WWW

Wow, I haven't been here in 4 years. I re-read my intro and it just put my life in such great persepective. I'm now married living on an established blueberry farm that my husband and his father put in, making the dream happen. And now I have my first black soldier fly bin that I built. Thanks for still being here forum, I will probably be here a lot. I have so many ideas for them.

And my real name is Ambere

Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]