View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Entomophagy 

Post Re: Entomophagy
I've been eating insects since I was a kid and the research I've been doing in school revolves around raising insects organically without the use of monocultures. Feed like wheat, corn, or grains in general are awful for the environment. Soon, the only animals I will eat will be arthropods so I guess I'd be an arthrotarian. This cultivation of organic arthropods and plants/fungi/bacteria/protista diet will help me feed myself and my dogs for low cost and has positive effects on the environment. My work touches on the benefits to the individual, environment, and the economics of raising and eating an organic arthrotarian diet. Let me know if you'd like to know more. There are so many benefits to entomophagy and the food is delicious. I've tried black soldier fly adults and they can be cooked like one would cook wasps. When they are in a breeding enclosure, they are clean and easy to catch. I substituted bsf for bees in hachinoko and while it's not as good as bees, they are a close second.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:15 pm
Profile Send private message

Reaper wrote:
I've tried black soldier fly adults and they can be cooked like one would cook wasps.
Of course they can, Reaper - how else would one cook them, haha?
I reckon that is a very funny statement since it implies that everyone would know how to knock up a snack of wasps; maybe for the kids when they come home hungry from school!

Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:48 am
Profile Send private message
Site Admin

I can hear mom now...

"Finish your dinner dear, you've hardly touched your larvae." :lol:

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:27 am
Profile Send private message WWW
Global Moderator

Insects Are Food - Entomophagy is the Future (link)

A good introduction to entomophagy complete with a FAQ

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:15 pm
Global Moderator

Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations - Insects for food and feed (link)

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:49 pm
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:51 pm
Global Moderator

Ofbug (link) is a Canadian site with a bit of info promoting entomophagy

WHY ENTOMOPHAGY

Eating insects is known as Entomophagy. It's happening world-wide for good reason. People have always been eating insects and loving it. Ofbug invites you to participate in this ancient food economy already being enjoyed by 80% of this planet. When you choose to eat insects, you are actively making our future healthier and more sustainable.
ENTO RECIPES

Most of us in the west are skeptical when it comes to eating insects whole - eating an insect doesn't have to look like eating an insect. Insects can look like a chip, a hotdog, or a potato fritter. Insects can look like flour and behave like soy. You can use insect flour in protein shakes and baking. Check out some insect recipes.
LEARN MORE

This man has insect knowledge: Wageningen University, "Why Not Eat Insects" by entomologist, Marcel Dicke. For even more ento-info visit our resources page. You'll find ento research, entofarms and companies, chefs working with insects, DIY farms, etc. Please let me know if you have any questions: (kathryn@ofbug.com)

Footnote, from Kathryn Redford, of Ofbug from an October 23, 2014 article New businesses worm their way into the market (link) in the Vancouver Sun from Canada

I am vegetarian but would eat insects, which is an interesting discussion on its own. Paul is open to the lifestyle change, but neither of us eat insects on the regular. Human-grade insect producers do not exist in Vancouver (yet!), so it’s tough to incorporate them daily unless you have a home colony to harvest. I would say my favourite are mealworms ... Dehydrate mealworms, (add) salt and oil, then sprinkle on top of any salad. To me, they taste like crispy noodle salad topping.”

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:48 am
Global Moderator

Insect Farming Is Agriculture as Dystopian Future as American Manufacturing
The promise of the insect industry is high-volume protein, made quietly next door.
Ben Guarino
January 11, 2016

https://www.inverse.com/article/9233-in ... ufacturing

Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:51 am
Global Moderator

Could juicy grubs solve malnutrition?
Very large grubs selling for $4/cup.

"6 March 2016 Last updated at 00:12 GMT

Grubs might not be everyone's idea of a tasty meal but in parts of Central Africa they provide a vital, local source of protein and minerals.

However, as the demand for the critters grows, so do the prices. And there is an environmental impact. Palm weevil grubs live in raffia palms which are being cut down in large numbers.

Now, scientists in Cameroon say they have come up with a solution that not only protects the environment but increases production of the grubs at the same time.

The BBC's Tamasin Ford went to investigate. "

See the video in the link above from PeteB

Edit to add YouTube version below:

Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:55 am
Global Moderator

Grub’s up — startup thinks the next great sustainable food is … fly larvae?
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech ... up-larvae/

"... New U.K.-based startup Entocycle’s idea? Using black soldier fly larvae as a sustainable source of protein, capable of feeding animals and — one day — potentially humans as well. ...

... “We have big ambitions and so we would be keen to explore producing insects for the human diet in future because it just makes so much sense to,” he continued. “They are highly nutritious, the black soldier fly doesn’t carry disease, and is a completely sustainable source of food. Once people are over the ‘ick’ factor — which is only really a prevailing attitude in the west — then there is nothing to stop insects becoming part of a person’s regular, healthy diet. It would take a great shift in attitudes and behavior, and I think we would very much one day aim to be a part of that.”

Grub’s up!"

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2