View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Entomophagy 
Global Moderator

Post Entomophagy
Edit by BW - The post below was originally part of a post by Charlie from Arkansas (Gourmet Bugs) in the bin designs section of the forums (link) . Charlie's blog is Gourmet Bugs (link)

My blog is about raising insects in various stages for bait, pet feed and human food, known as Entomophagy. I found out that some bugs actually taste pretty dang good! Have not tried BSFL yet but plan to soon. Though crickets, grasshoppers and mealworms are among the most popular, I see BSFL as a good candidate and will try to educate the Entomophagy community on their cleanliness. I go by the standard of "bugs are what they eat" and I don't want to eat bugs that ate pet food or lived in or among their own frass such as conventional methods for raising mealworms which actually eat their own frass. They get bigger and are better in a mesh bottom enclosure where all they eat is good meal from grains.

I'm working with World Entomophagy out of Georgia. Together we are striving to set new standards for raising insects for food versus how insects are raised for bait or pet feed. Every insect enclosure I design is based on a "Clean Bug" concept to keep the insects separated from their waste at all times by using mesh bottom enclosures which allow frass to exit as it is generated and it is utilized by composting earthworms.

BSFL can't be raised in exactly the same enclosures but I don't feel they can be ignored as a potential protein source for humans given all their positive attributes in raising and end nutrition content.

Bugs are the human protein food of the future, like it or not. Too many people and too few and lessening places and resources for raising warm blooded livestock. Oceans fish populations are dwindling rapidly. We can't ignore the most abundant food source on the planet any longer. As far as eating bugs goes, North America and Europe are about the only countries in the world where they have been ignored and we are in the minority but things are quickly changing.

As stated on my blog, BSFL is probably a cleaner bug on its own merit than any we can produce by our all our efforts. I think it's the perfect choice when considering all the many variables. :mrgreen:

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:32 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Post Re: Entomophagy
I guess I'm too emotionally delicate to really consider eating bugs. I don't even like to think about the candy suckers with ants in them at the local grocery.

I think I would rather have some chickens, feed them weed seeds and the BSF, then eat the chickens.

Sat May 25, 2013 9:17 pm
Profile Send private message

Okay, here's another good candidate for you (link) Learning to cultivate them will be well worth the effort . . . and YES, they taste pretty good too. ;)

Sun May 26, 2013 4:37 am

Thanks, Pete. Appreciated that.

[Note to self: pick up more beans and rice.]

Sue

Sun May 26, 2013 5:51 pm
Site Admin

PeteB wrote:
Okay, here's another good candidate for you (link) Learning to cultivate them will be well worth the effort . . . and YES, they taste pretty good too. ;)

Thanks Peter! That article even give a recipe! :P

It says they taste like potato chips. I love potato chips...

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am
Site Admin

Jerry wrote:
PeteB wrote:

Thanks Peter! That article even offers a recipe! :P

It says they taste like potato chips. I love potato chips...

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Mon May 27, 2013 12:25 am

Post Re: BSF photo gallery
Moved from photo gallery (link). BW

Great thread and pictures y'all, just discovered it this morning. I think this is where I'll send folks to get a quick view of things BSF related. Might even print up some cards to make it easy. Lately I've been writing on the back of business cards to send people over to the blog.

Wife and I are heading to the 6th Annual Bug Eating Festival in Zilker Park (Austin) tonight. I have a 100 well-rinsed larvae in the picture below that are going to meet their fate. It'll be interesting to see how the chef's prepare them. I'll get some pictures and start a bug eating thread manana.

Attachments:
Heading to the BugFest.jpg
Heading to the BugFest.jpg [ 108.82 KiB | Viewed 13407 times ]
Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:49 pm
Global Moderator

Driftwood wrote:
... Wife and I are heading to the 6th Annual Bug Eating Festival in Zilker Park (Austin) tonight. I have a 100 well-rinsed larvae in the picture below that are going to meet their fate. It'll be interesting to see how the chef's prepare them. I'll get some pictures and start a bug eating thread manana.
Thought I'd mention this thread (link) in case you haven't seen it. Bon Appetit :)

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:04 pm
Site Admin

Cool John, have fun!

There are more photos at the blog gallery: LINK

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:57 pm

What a hoot. Pretty large crowd. Maybe 150 people, lots of children. The main presenter gave a thorough talk about eating bugs with many fascinating details. Both he and Marjory ate a couple of BSF larvae right out of the bag. I was waiting until he got to the cooking stage for mine but had to leave before that happened. Left my bag of grubs with a couple of guys who started Little Herds which collaborates with World Entomorphogy to provide high-quality, human-consumption grade insects. Facebook.com/LittleHerds. They had plates of cookies and muffins with meal-worm flour. Yummy stuff, kinda salty and plenty of chocolate chips.

Here's a few pictures from the gig.

Attachments:
BugFest 2013.jpg
BugFest 2013.jpg [ 189.44 KiB | Viewed 13388 times ]

Last edited by Driftwood on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:17 am

An acquired taste I'd guess.

Attachments:
Bug Book.jpg
Bug Book.jpg [ 125.95 KiB | Viewed 13391 times ]
Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:21 am

The kids squealed when he popped one of these in his mouth and chewed it up. One woman put her face in her hands and sought comfort in her husbands arms.

Attachments:
Meal Worms.jpg
Meal Worms.jpg [ 129.87 KiB | Viewed 13391 times ]
Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:25 am

Wonder if he cooked this baby, or just went grub tar-tar.

Attachments:
Big Grub.jpg
Big Grub.jpg [ 160.27 KiB | Viewed 13391 times ]
Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:30 am
Site Admin

I've read that there are cultures that think it's disgusting to eat chickens. I think it was an indigenous culture but I can't remember. Some people raise dogs for food, etc. It's all in our minds isn't it? :P

Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:40 am

Sorry about posting these on the wrong thread, just looked at the one BW linked to. Ooops!!

Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:42 am
Global Moderator

Driftwood wrote:
Sorry about posting these on the wrong thread, just looked at the one BW linked to. Ooops!!
No problem I've merged them with that thread.

I don't think I'm up to eating raw BSFL yet :shock: . Chocolate coated maybe :twisted:

Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:14 am

Thanks BorealWormer, appreciate it.

I'm with you on the raw thing. No way, until I have to.
I took some balsamic vinegar and himalayan sea salt, thinking that might a tasty cooking mix.
Maybe next time 8-)

Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:55 am

I've sampled BSF both raw and dehydrated. Just be sure to give them a good rinsing first!
The dehydrated ones were kind of pleasantly nutty tasting actually, but I think I'd still prefer munching on peanuts or pistachios when watching football on TV! :lol:

Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:17 pm
Global Moderator

Tarvus wrote:
I've sampled BSF both raw and dehydrated.
BSF or BSFL?

Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:24 pm

BorealWormer wrote:
BSF or BSFL?

BSFL

Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next