View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Redfeather from Joliet Illinois 
Global Moderator

Post Re: Redfeather from Joliet Illinois
It's looking good. You've only got a few larvae now so limit the amount of food you put in the bin or it may start to smell.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:54 am
Profile Send private message WWW
Site Admin

Here is a photo taken of a test of Velcro hook tape as a larva barrier. Several thousand mature larvae were tested and none escaped. Small juvenile larvae can defeat this barrier, but they can also defeat other designs for the same reasons. Thankfully, the small juveniles tend to stay with the food source unless the environment becomes too hot.

The biggest issue with Velcro is proper installation. I plan on writing more about this in the future.
Attachment:
velcro larva barrier test.jpg
velcro larva barrier test.jpg [ 258.36 KiB | Viewed 1537 times ]

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:27 am
Profile Send private message WWW

Thank you Jerry - for right now I only have a bunch of little BSFL - just keeping temp and humidity at a constant - I
Removed the orange peals and just have the wet coffee grounds and of course in I prob around I can still find parts of the salad -more BSF arriving every day from the bought BSFL - as the first one pass on I remove them - I again want to thank every one for all the help and Suggestions - still have several week of cold weather here before I can move every thing out doors

Redfeather

Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:31 pm
Profile Send private message

Jerry wrote:
Here is a photo taken of a test of Velcro hook tape as a larva barrier. Several thousand mature larvae were tested and none escaped. Small juvenile larvae can defeat this barrier, but they can also defeat other designs for the same reasons. Thankfully, the small juveniles tend to stay with the food source unless the environment becomes too hot.

The biggest issue with Velcro is proper installation. I plan on writing more about this in the future.
Attachment:
velcro larva barrier test.jpg

:D

Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:18 am
Profile Send private message
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2