View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Hello from SF 

Post Hello from SF
Hey there everyone, I'm here in san francisco and am a gardener and aquarist. I already have several cultures going according to my hobbies and this one has been missing from my life for far too long! I can wait to get started(as soon as the rain clears) and start composting at the speed of light!

Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:57 am
Global Moderator

Post Re: Hello from SF
Midraj welcome to our forum :) Looking forward to hearing more about your projects.

Also if you have a wild population of BSF we would love to add your location to our Black Soldier Fly Mapping Project (link). See the 'Range and Identification' section (link) for instructions.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:08 pm
Profile WWW

Hey Midraj ...

Welcome to the :) BugHouse :). I'm here in SF as well and am waiting out the rains as well to get my colony restarted. Keep us posted in how you're doing.

I'm was using a BioPod+ but I may retire it unless I do some "modding" of the system. Recently I had my vermi-poster (a stacking "Worm Factory" ) colonized by BSFL. Worms (red wigglers) and larvae seemed to get along quite well, with the BSFL colonizing the centers of a flat and the worms staying to the perimeters until the feeding frenzy (and heat) slacked off a bit then the worms would retake the centers. Worms appear to have been proliferating like crazy under these conditions and I am finding a few BSF pupae around the garden. Given the weather and temperatures, my bet is that they have gone inert for the season though.

Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:21 pm
Site Admin

Hello Midraj, I hope you find the forum helpful. :)

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:48 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]