View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 2000 egg black soldier fly starter kit NO LONGER AVAILABLE 
Site Admin

Post 2000 egg black soldier fly starter kit NO LONGER AVAILABLE
This is the kit that I'm selling. To buy one, click here: LINK

Shipping to 48 US states

2000 BSF egg starter kit - $20 plus $8 Priority shipping

Each hatchery we ship contains over 2000 black soldier fly eggs, which can reach medium size in as little as two weeks.

This kit is designed to be an aid in attracting BSF females from your local population to lay eggs in your BSF composter. 2000 larvae is not enough to operate a BSF unit, but the larvae give off an info-chemical that is very attractive to BSF females. One advantage of starting out with eggs is that the larvae spend their entire larval stage in your composter, leaving their attractive scent in your system. It's also very rewarding to watch the tiny, newly hatched larvae grow to full size in your composter.

The hatchery

The eggs are shipped in a hatchery constructed of cardboard and a kraft paper bag, which is then sealed in a plastic bag to preserve moisture. A small quantity of food is included inside the hatchery because the eggs often hatch during shipping. The hatchery protects the eggs/larvae, both during shipping and after it is installed in your BSF composter. Since there will be food inside of the hatchery, many larvae may remain inside for several days. We use paper so that it can be permanently left in the composter, to be shredded later by the larvae.

Installation

Place a slice of bread in your composter and moisten it.

Place a thin layer of moist, used coffee grounds on the bread. 1/4 inch (6 mm) is plenty.

Tear or cut a 1 inch (2.5 cm) slit in one side of the hatchery, and place it with the slit facing down, on top of the bread/coffee. (it's alright if the slit is little bigger) - The paper of the hatchery may be damp enough when you receive it that it will tear easily by hand. If it's too dry to tear easily, you may make the slit with a sharp knife or razor. Keep in mind that there may be tiny larvae on the inside of the paper, so avoid pinching it anywhere expect for the edges labeled "hold here". Don't worry about the size of the gap made by the slit; BSF larvae are masters of squeezing though tight spaces.

Mist the hatchery with water until saturated, and repeat misting every day for at least one week. Use enough water that it drips down so that it also keeps the bread moist. There may be larvae present in the hatchery for longer than a week, so it's best to leave the bag in the composter to give them time to exit, and where it will eventually be shredded by the larvae.

Receiving your starter kit

It is important that you open and install the starter kit immediately upon receiving it. There is a limited amount of air inside of the hatchery, and the moisture may not be high enough inside to maintain them for more than the shipping period.

Our egg kits are shipped USPS Priority mail, with a signature required. If no one is home to accept the delivery, it will be returned to the Post Office for pick up by the customer. We ship this way because if the package was left unattended in a hot mailbox or other sunny location, the eggs/larvae would be at great risk of overheating and perishing. If you are certain that the package will remain cool, we can ship without the signature requirement, but we will not guarantee the health of the larvae.

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:48 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Post Re: 2000 egg black soldier fly starter kit
What a great idea!!! Looks like you put some thought and effort into this. Congrats and may the sales roll in.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:38 am
Profile Send private message
Site Admin

Thanks Hiccup. I may change it a little, but I'm looking for a way to deliver larvae that will work for people who don't know a lot about BSF.

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:24 am

Seems like a great way to go about it. Will you be including a care and propagation sheet? I have been getting a lot of customers interested in propagation which is good, but leads to a one off sale which is not so good. I have pointed a few to the forum too. When I started selling them I had no delusions of getting wealthy just offsetting my costs a bit, but still feels somewhat counterproductive. Then again if everyone had a bin in their backyard the waste going to the landfills could be significantly reduced. Win/win.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:49 am
Site Admin

I don't expect repeat business from these kits. I'll include a printed copy of installation and the information will also be available on the blog.

I guess one exception might be someone who wants to feed an exotic pet by raising these eggs in a relatively clean environment, but who don't want to maintain a complete BSF system.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:06 pm
Site Admin

I reduced the price of the egg kit to $28 with shipping. I first made the price $40 for 2000 eggs because the cheapest I could find larvae for was $20 for 500, or $40 for 1000. I still haven't found them cheaper than that and I would appreciate links to dealers who offer them for less.

Even at half the cost, I didn't get any orders. That was a signal that my price was too high, at least for this stage of the season. Since I've had time to build up my BSF population I have an abundance of eggs. Of course in the spring, eggs will be in shorter supply and demand will peak. For that reason I think I'll go with seasonal pricing with $40 including shipping in the spring and early summer, and the lower price in the second half of the season. I see this as fair because eggs I sell in the early season represent adults that won't be available to increase my population for the later part of the season. In other words, early season eggs are much more valuable to me.

Perceived value is an important part of pricing and I think that may be a big factor in offering eggs as opposed to larvae. Perhaps people see medium and large larvae as more valuable/desirable than eggs. Shipping eggs is more practical for me, which is why I started out at half the going rate, but it has advantages for the customer as well. When the larvae spend more of their larval stage developing in the customer's composter, they will leave more of the info-chemical which is believed to attract egg laying BSF. After all, that's the real purpose of a starter kit. Also, the average person may not realize that the eggs I ship can develop to full size in only three weeks at optimal (high) temperatures. Regardless of that, the price must reflect what people perceive as good value.

I enjoy packing and shipping BSF eggs, so I don't mind if I make less profit doing it. :D

Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:52 pm

Jerry wrote:
I could find larvae for was $20 for 500, or $40 for 1000. I still haven't found them cheaper than that and I would appreciate links to dealers who offer them for less.

WOW, try $50 for 200 half dead larvae from the pet store...lol. I hope I can find a better supply here in Canada.

Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:14 pm

I am interested in purchasing an egg starter kit. Is this information still current? It appears the link given at the top is broken.

Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:21 am
Global Moderator

Quartz while you're waiting for Jerry to reply you might want to take a look at the Attracting black soldier flies-the basics (link) topic. Florida is prime BSF habitat.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]