View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Black Soldier Fly Larvae in Worm Bins 
Global Moderator

Post Re: Black Soldier Fly Larvae in Worm Bins
This was posted on a vermiculture related forum (link)

"So I shredded up ALOT of cardboard ... and mixed it all in with the icky muck in the box. Equally importantly, I stopped feeding them.

I checked the box a week later. All the BSFL are still there, but not moving. But the worms! They are everywhere! I'm thinking that the BSFL broke the food down and once I made the environment more livable for the worms, the worms threw a party."

So maybe adding a lot of cellulose is a partial answer for those folks who would like to get rid of BSFL from their worm bin.

As mentioned before, isolating a worm bin from adult egg laying BSF is probably the only way to keep the BSFL from returning to bin.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:53 pm
Profile WWW

I have a 360 worm composter and to this date this seem to be the only place I have seen BSF eggs. I do have worms and BSF together in it and it seems to work OK. On the top lever of the 360 I have placed dry newspapers, the BSF like it to lay their eggs between the layers of the newspapers. Once I have located them, I have cut the piece of newspaper out and place it in a old gallon ice cream container. Add strawberries and coffee grounds. I lots of videos of them as they have grown. in the photo they are one day old and now they are a week old.

Attachments:
20140531_121841.jpg
20140531_121841.jpg [ 111.95 KiB | Viewed 5977 times ]
20140531_131005.jpg
20140531_131005.jpg [ 135.57 KiB | Viewed 5977 times ]
Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:10 am
Global Moderator

Thanks Robbie. Your post is a good example of how BSFL aren't always a problem in worm bins.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:31 am
Profile WWW
Global Moderator

Thought I'd cross post this here as it's another example of how BSFL aren't always a problem in worm bins. Taken from this post (link) by Craig_c

Craig_c wrote:
... Recently I had my vermi-poster (a stacking "Worm Factory" ) colonized by BSFL. Worms (red wigglers) and larvae seemed to get along quite well, with the BSFL colonizing the centers of a flat and the worms staying to the perimeters until the feeding frenzy (and heat) slacked off a bit then the worms would retake the centers. Worms appear to have been proliferating like crazy under these conditions and I am finding a few BSF pupae around the garden....

Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:31 pm
Profile WWW

This is my first time making an inquiry on the forum even though I've read and learned alot here, I come now upset and brokenhearted for help.

The worms are dead in my compost bin, I think from overheating.

Will Black Soldier Flies eat the dead worms? If so, will they come because of the foul odor attracting them in a timely manner or should I order some online? If BSFs will not eat them, or too much time will pass before they would be able to, should I just bury the bin contents in the garden?

The dead worms were found yesterday afternoon. The 2 bins of worms recently traveled in the car trunk 3 days, but unfortunately were unloadied and set in the sun for a day. One bin was stinky as soon as I opened it. I only saved a dozen still alive and put them in my other bin which seemed OK.
I have had BSFs last summer , but there are none now. I have never had this happen before and don't know what to do.

I wil appreciate any advice. Thank you. C.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:51 am
Global Moderator

C welcome to our forum :) If you'd like you can introduce yourself here (link).

I am sorry to hear about your worm bin. I recently lost my worm herd for unknown reasons after ten years but hope to start over this summer.

I believe that BSFL, if present, would eat the dead worms. I'm not clear if BSF are common in your present location (it sounds like you may have moved). It might be a while before BSF would colonize the bin in large enough quantities to take care of your present problem.

As you could have quite a smelly situation it might be better to bury the bin contents in the garden.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:39 am
Profile WWW

Thanks BorealWormer
*for the welcome and link to introduction (I'm still learning my way around computers, and my first time to join in on your forum beside just looking)
*for the condolences on worm loss
*for suggestion, " it might be better to bury the bin contents in the garden." because, "not clear if BSF are common in your present location (it sounds like you may have moved). Well, I have not moved - long story/short, the 2 worm bins traveled to California in Dec. and then back to Greenville on April 2nd. where half of them met their demise.

Also, I went on the BSF Mapping Project and saw another post from the Greenville area, so not only the ones I remember from last summer, but chicknmom's were photo identified. Is there a way for me to contact her or give her my contact? It' been since 09/04/2012 that she posted.

If I get any more BSF activity, I'll be sure to share any photos for another verification in the area. Thanks, again. C

Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:16 pm
Global Moderator

Carponarpie wrote:
... Well, I have not moved - long story/short, the 2 worm bins traveled to California in Dec. and then back to Greenville on April 2nd. where half of them met their demise.
Worms on vacation?? ;)

Quote:
Also, I went on the BSF Mapping Project and saw another post from the Greenville area, so not only the ones I remember from last summer, but chicknmom's were photo identified. Is there a way for me to contact her or give her my contact? It' been since 09/04/2012 that she posted.
C you can email members through their profile if they chose to share their email. Here's her profile (link) which does have an email link.

Otherwise you can 'private message' any member through a link on their profile. A notice will be sent to the email address that they registered with.

Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2