View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 New BSF biopond bin 

Post New BSF biopond bin
Hi guys!! new member from sunny Malaysia here and i'm feeling great that i can finally become a member of the BSF community now that i've got my own BSF Bin setup after much thought and lurking around while drawing inspiration from everyone's DiY setups. Just sharing, feel free to comment or share any feedbacks ~ :lol:

i've put together a pretty standard, medium - size prototype for my pilot BSF project equipped with landing pod, vents, airwells and drain for discharging BSF tea.

A little peek inside would reveal how they're all assembled-together

Now, all i needed to do is attract my own starter colony which having no luck at the moment. Too many pesky iguanas around

Tue May 05, 2015 1:16 pm
Global Moderator

Post Re: New BSF biopond bin
Izhizm welcome to our forum :) If you'd like you can introduce yourself here (link).

If you haven't seen it already, you might be interested in the Attracting black soldier flies-the basics (link) topic. Also if you have a wild population of BSF we would love to add your location to our Black Soldier Fly Mapping Project (link). See the 'Range and Identification' section (link) for instructions.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Tue May 05, 2015 1:48 pm
Profile WWW

biopond.. biopod arghh the shame, must've been too excited or tired to notice! :lol:

Would certainly join the BSF mapping project, until of course i get a photo of some specimens at the backyard.

As of today, well i've setup some traps around the house consisting of a cornmeal +molasses + fruit mix and letting it sour for sometime to attract a mating pair. Hoping for the best :mrgreen:

Wed May 06, 2015 12:54 am

It will work as a hamster cage. Half or 1/4 of the prepupae will not migrate, that is a fact. "Divide and conquer", smart move that gives them more chances to survive as specie.

Wed May 13, 2015 9:09 pm

I don't know Alfredo - during the summer when my bug-blaster bin was working I got about a kilogram of grubs out of it for the season and when I cleaned it out I found maybe 50 individuals that had burrowed down into the deepest frass. I think it depends on the depth of the substrate that you allow to accumulate. When there was a lot of moisture in the tub - not necessarily liquid - they seemed to crawl out a lot more readily too.

Wed May 13, 2015 10:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]