View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 BSF as a carrier 

Post BSF as a carrier
Today I found this BSF in my collection bucket that had apparently pupated and was just a "fly on the wall". I had previously seen another fly with a similar "growth" on the tip of the tail that I thought was just some abnormality. I plucked this one out of the bin to take a closer look at it and I discovered that it wasn't an abnormality, but a cluster of mites! When I poked the tip, they all scattered in the container. Has anyone else ever experienced this before? I previously dusted my entire bin with DE because I suspected a mite problem, but this just confirms it. Should I be concerned? Any suggestions on how to stop it?

Attachments:
Mites (1).jpg
Mites (1).jpg [ 186.14 KiB | Viewed 3586 times ]
Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:23 am
Profile Send private message

Post Re: BSF as a carrier
I have previously seen a live adult with a single red mite on it, but never anything like that. Perhaps the adult was dead on arrival due to some internal mutation and the mites are breaking it down? I once saw one with two heads, two legs and no wings...*Shudder*

Quote:
The vast majority of the reddish or tan-colored mites you see in a worm bin or compost pile are either some species of tortoise mite, a wonderfully beneficial decomposer of dead OM, or they are predatory mites (Hypoaspis mites, which feed on fly larvae, being among the most common) which feed on other small invertebrates, helping to maintain a balanced ecosystem.

Sauce

Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:18 am

Unfortunately, this fly was still alive. It wasn't able to fly because the weight (I'm guessing) of the mites pulled it down. It was just standing on the wall. Another fly that I observed, did the same thing. I had to sacrifice this one for the good of the others.

Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:41 am

Perhaps your pupation bin is too moist - leading to the proliferation of mites and other smaller organisms?

Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:52 am

It is possible. I have damp coir in the bucket for the larvae to drop onto. I thought they needed moisture because they lost it so rapidly as they pupate? This is all a learning process for me, no matter how long I've been doing it.

Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:00 am
Site Admin

Aussiemoo wrote:
Perhaps your pupation bin is too moist - leading to the proliferation of mites and other smaller organisms?

I always maintain very moist compost and rarely see mites.

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:51 am
Profile Send private message WWW

Hi Folks
I seem to be having the same trouble. Plenty of larva and now adults flying about. There were a number crawling on the floor and this is what you see (hopefully pics come out).

https://goo.gl/photos/2X9ddg7KrnvNo37s9

https://goo.gl/photos/kb5ZXMLwbjQsjcSP9

Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:24 pm

Truly gross. I hope I never see it. I hope you find a solution or that the problem resolves itself. I had little red mites like that in my worm bin about 10 years ago when it was too wet and I was still a learner. The bin didn't have drainage. I've never done that again.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]