View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Transparent BSF bins, theory and practice - your experience? 

Post Transparent BSF bins, theory and practice - your experience?
Hi

I saw a neat looking BSF pod design that used a transparent plastic storage box. The guy didn't seem to have a problem with it, despite theories about BSF light aversion. What is your experience of using transparent containers please?

(I tried looking this up in the forum but I don't think Search is working right. It says "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: transparent." ... even when I narrow the search to a single sub-category and selected 'titles only'.)

Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:04 pm
Profile WWW
Global Moderator

Post Re: Transparent BSF bins, theory and practice - your experie
You may be thinking of Jerry's (creator of this site and the blog) design (link)

Jerry says "I chose a transparent tote because I have a theory that ultraviolet rays from indirect natural light might help control bacteria, as it does in a natural setting." (link)

The transparent walls don't seem to cause any problems but, as with most bins, should be shaded and not placed in direct sunlight.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Global Moderator

Post Re: Transparent BSF bins, theory and practice - your experie
Finchy wrote:
(I tried looking this up in the forum but I don't think Search is working right. It says "The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: transparent." ... even when I narrow the search to a single sub-category and selected 'titles only'.)
Yes I have run into that too. The search function is a bit of a 'black box' with no configuration ability. I think it may be the case that it displays that message when the search returns a super large number of results.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]