View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Turtle Conservation in New York 

Post Turtle Conservation in New York
Hi all,
I am a licensed wildlife rehabilitator in NY. I only work with native turtles. I became interested in these flies about a year ago, due to their superior nutritional value.

I have tried different setups.
-indoors in a 15 gallon aquarium with a mercury bulb. I got only a few egg bundles, but they desiccated. The females preferred to lay in the wire mesh cover, rather than the cardboard.
- outdoors in a bucket under an old parrot cage top. I also got a few egg bundles, also dry. I am not sure if these were wild flies, or ones that hatched out from the grubs I had in the bin to attract laying females.
- Now I just let the flies pupate in my turtle care room. They fly about freely, a few drown, and get eaten. I haven’t found any egg clusters. The room is usually around 80º and has UVA/B mercury lamps. I did seem to get a second crop of adults, but only about 2 dozen. As opposed to the over three hundred from the first group.

I believe I need to learn more about encouraging mating and caring for the eggs. My guess is that it is a humidity issue.

A few things I’ve noticed:
- About half of the adults prefer to stay on the floor, while others are hanging out on the walls. Anyone else experience this?
- I once fed mango peels and seeds and the colony crashed.

Does anyone else work with turtles and/or wildlife conservation?
Best,
Patricia Johnson
Certified Global Ranavirus Consortium
Certified Reptile Monitoring, Smithsonian-Mason School of Conservation
NY State Class II wildlife rehabilitator #147
www.TurtleAdvocate.org

Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:39 am
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: Turtle Conservation in New York
Welcome Patricia. You have a really interesting job and I hope we can help you. Have a look at the Small Scale Indoor Breeding topic (link) for some ideas on the conditions that have worked for others.

TurtleAdvocate wrote:
- About half of the adults prefer to stay on the floor, while others are hanging out on the walls. Anyone else experience this?
This could be lighting, temperature or humidity related.

Quote:
- I once fed mango peels and seeds and the colony crashed.
The larvae can't process peels and I imagine seeds might be too hard initially until they sprouted and died.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:53 am
Profile Send private message WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]