View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Commercial Operations Using BSFL 
Global Moderator

Post Commercial Operations Using BSFL
I think it's pretty much general knowledge that there are a few companies selling BSFL for pet food. These include Phoenixworm.com (link) and Reptiworms.com (link) among others.

There are also companies now starting to use BSFL for large scale waste disposal. A couple of these are Organic Value Recovery Solutions (link) and Green Waste Technologies (link). This article (link) gives some detail about these companies.

There are separate topics about:
Enterra Feed Corporation (link)
EnviroFlight (link)

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:01 am
Profile Send private message WWW
Global Moderator

Post Re: Commercial Operations Using BSFL
BorealWormer wrote:
This article (link) gives some detail about these companies.
The link to this article on http://www.mycentraljersey.com no longer works but there are others linked to from http://grnwt.com/gwtinthenews.html

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:23 pm
Global Moderator

www.terracyclesg.com is based in Singapore. Not much on the website about BSFL but they do have several videos on YouTube (link)

Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Global Moderator

BorealWormer wrote:
There are also companies now starting to use BSFL for large scale waste disposal. A couple of these are Organic Value Recovery Solutions (link)
The OVRSol site has a video page (link) with an interview of Dr. Craig Sheppard one of the prominent BSF researchers. This is hosted on their site (not YouTube) and has high and low bandwidth versions.

Edit to add: Found a YouTube version

Last edited by BorealWormer on Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Add YouTube vid

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:49 pm
Global Moderator

DipTerra - Insect-based Processing of Biodegradable Waste (link) based in Portland, OR

"We engage in consulting and achieving sustainable recycling solutions specifically relating to Black Soldier Fly Applications and Products in Processing Biodegradable Wastes and Production of Animal Feedstock."

Their blog.

Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:59 am
Global Moderator

The study "Final Report Saurin HEM , Bioconversion Indonesia 2005 – 2011" on pages 27 & 28 describes a fairly large scale (1000m²/10764ft²) operation for the production of "live food for aquarium fish" in Indonesia. Here are some excerpts:

Quote:
The operation concerns the mass production of small size maggot (from 1.5 – 2mm, 3mm et 4mm of diameter) will be used as live food for aquarium fish. The program action has occurred at Balai BRBIHAT Depok. ...

... The minilarvae program (Minimaggot) at 2009 is highlighted by a strong support from IRD to push the project into a real scale. A budget of 45.000€ (forty five thousand Euros) has been agreed to support the construction of set up a prototype of Insectariums (1000m²) for trying a high density culture of Insect Hermetia illucens. The objective is to produce and harvest massively eggs from Hermetia to be used produce industrially the mini-larvae to satisfy the ornamental fish market. On December 2009, after the inauguration 05/11/2009, the production maximal has reached 300gr of eggs per week.

The photo 2 caption on page 28 mentions "Eggs harvested 250gr ( ± 8 750 000 eggs)" so at 300gr per week it would be about 10.5 million BSF eggs weekly.

Here's a link to a post in the Knowledge Base section about this study (link)

Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:22 pm
Global Moderator

Post Cambodia: Co-Prot Insect Protein For Animal Feed
Edit 2015/09/24 - (thanks to Aussiemoo for the info)
"Venture closed
August 2015
We have decided to close the venture because we came to a conclusion that mass insect production for animal feed is not a sound investment."

More info at the link below

A start-up company in Siem Reap, Cambodia.

http://www.co-prot.com/

Co-Prot is established in order to supply the increasing demand in quality animal protein feed.

Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:25 pm
Global Moderator

http://www.fodurskordyr.is/english-version/
Víur—farmed insects in Iceland

"The black soldier fly (Hermetia illucens) has been shown to possess a range of positive properties, such as high growth rate, pathogen reduction in substrate, self-harvesting nature, capability of ingesting a wide range of substrate, palatability for fish, high protein and lipid content, and a short life cycle. For Icelandic conditions, the black soldier fly would have to be reared indoors in high temperature. If flies escape, they would not pose any infecting risks because they neither feed, bite or sting. Furthermore, in the frigid outdoors, its chance of survival is little.

Given that Iceland follows European feed legislation, the legislative framework of using animal by-products for rearing insects is quite restrictive, both in terms of what insects can be fed and how they can be integrated into feed for other animals. The legislative framework for fish feed is less strict than that for feeding land animals. Reform will have to be made for insect products to safely but economically enter the diet for both animals and humans.

Our preliminary results indicate that combined, these factors make Iceland an exciting option for mass rearing of black soldier fly. Experiments with local waste streams will start in 2014 with the goal of further assessing the feasibility and cost-effectiveness of the endeavour."

Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:45 pm

BorealWormer wrote:
" ... Only about one per cent of the larvae are allowed to mature into flies, which are used as breeding stock, laying about 700 to 800 eggs each. The flies are native to B.C. in the summer, but prefer the warm conditions in the Enterra facility to the outdoors. ..."

Call me pedantic but, by my reckoning, only half of that one per cent of larvae that are allowed to mature into flies lays 700 to 800 eggs since half of them would be male flies!

Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:14 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

From a post in the Vendors thread

Aussiemoo wrote:

Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:53 am
Global Moderator

Ofbug (link) is a Canadian start up company raising BSFL and other insects for livestock feed and possible future human consumption.

This October 23, 2014 article New businesses worm their way into the market (link) in the Vancouver Sun from Canada has more details about Ofbug and it's founder Kathryn Redford.

TEDx Talk by Kathryn Redford What to feed our food? January 24, 2015

Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:56 am
Global Moderator

http://www.proento.com/ in Mexico
"ProEnto is started to promote, produce & process insects as food for humans and feed for animals.
We are originated from The Netherlands and currently upscaling our production facility in Mexico."

More in the Introductions section in this thread by C. Roskam (link)

Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:22 pm
Global Moderator

Organic Centre Private Limited Lagoi, Indonesia

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:02 am
Global Moderator

PROTIX http://www.protix.eu/

from their site:

"ACCELERATING THE TRANSITION TO A FOOD SYSTEM IN BALANCE WITH NATURE

Insects are nature’s greatest upcycler. They can take organic waste and quickly recycle it into high quality protein, vitamins and amino acids. At Protix we produce insect based proteins and lipids at scale and work with communities to create locally recovered protein cycles."

Also see these topics:
Everything in place to start using insect meal in Holland (link)

Fly larvae alternative to soy protein (in chicken feed) (link)

Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:48 pm

Entofood Sdn. Bhd., MALAYSIA (http://entofood.com/

Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:51 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Scratch and Peck Feeds’ Search for Sustainable Bugs
http://www.whatcomtalk.com/2016/12/19/s ... eck-feeds/

"Black Soldier Fly Larvae. Sounds like something pretty powerful, doesn’t it? Bugs with a mission. And really, that’s how Scratch and Peck Feeds sees these little protein-packed buggers. It’s one of the many reasons the Certified Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified animal feed manufacturer brought them on as part of their Cluckin’ Good product line of chicken supplements and treats."

Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:59 pm
Global Moderator

Maggots dine on restaurant scraps before becoming fish food in aquaculture shake-up By Pamela Medlen
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-15/m ... ry/8528332

"A West Australian company hopes to use hundreds of tonnes of food scraps to feed maggots, which will then be turned into a food source for farmed fish. ..."

Tue May 16, 2017 1:49 pm
Global Moderator

Insect-based technologies: How buzzing is lending a hand
https://www.wamda.com/2017/09/insect-ba ... nding-hand

Excerpt:

Flies as waste managers

Next Protein is another Tunisian startup that has its eyes on flying insects but for a different purpose. Rather than producing food, the startup is concerned about the exact opposite: the disposal of it.

Certain kinds of flies, specifically the black soldier fly larvae, have the ability to effectively consume organic waste and digest it into protein. The benefits are threefold: protein-rich larvae is later harvested and processed into a protein feed for livestock, poultry and fish, its fat gets extracted to produce biofuels, and the leftover from the waste is used as organic fertilizer.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]