View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Howdy from Marlon from Colorado 

Post Howdy from Marlon from Colorado
Hello from Lakewood, Colorado! :D Great forum here, a lot of fascinating info from you guys. My BSF are supposed to arrive tomorrow (from Florida). I'm an electrical engineer and raise giant rabbits as a hobby. I'm keen on composting and currently keep dubia roaches and red wigglers indoors, and a wide array of various bugs outside in my compost bin. The kids and I have a bearded dragon and several clawed frogs and various fish that would appreciate a variety of live food over the long winters here.

I'm planning to try an indoor BSF colony for the winter, with a rearing bin and a separate mating suite which is actually a humidity tent for a tropical tree I have in a west facing window. My wife HATES :evil: flies so I hope I don't get any escapes :!: :!:

Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:05 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: Howdy from Marlon from Colorado
Welcome to our community. Looking forward to hearing how your indoor BSF colony progresses. Your experience with rearing other insects should be a big help.

The adult flies are pretty docile and escapees usually end up perched on the nearest sunny window. There will always be a few larvae that wander too. It's usually the prepupal larvae which have stopped eating that go looking for a way out. You'll probably want to look at a barrier of some sort. Jerry lines the top interior circumference with the rough (not the fuzzy) strip of two-part Velcro (link) and there are also the mechanical barriers used by PeteB (link) and (link). I experimented with an electric 'fence' (link) but I don't think as practical as the others.,

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:27 pm
Profile Send private message WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]