View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Outdoor open breeding without wild flies available? 120f hea 

Post Outdoor open breeding without wild flies available? 120f hea
The summers are hot and long where I live. We easily get up to 130f and stay there for days on end. At least our "winters" only get down to about 25-30f. I purchased 20,000 bsfl to attempt some indoor breeding until temps warm up, and I feel very confident that I can do so. My plan was to purchase 5,000, but, I was offered a good deal on a larger package, and I was told that it would be way easier to start with this many. Anyways, I'm wondering if it is possible to have an outdoor open breeding colony where they don't naturally live. The temps will definitely support them, but, I'm also concerned with low humity levels. I'm pretty sure the rh isn't always up around 80% where they live naturally. I've got a ton of questions, so I'll just post all of the ones I can think of in here, or, should I make different topics for every one? If so, I can do that. For now, I'll compile everything. I was going to ask about heat and outside bins. But, I remember reading that run-off will happen around 110f? I'll definitely have to think about ways to keep the bins cool from all the heat the bsfl and bacteria will create. And now I can't really think of any of the other questions I had. I love my memory. If outdoor breeding would be easier with an inclosure, I can easily build one, and I've already got plans. My main issue will be humidity, I'm sure. But, I'm thinking some mister will help with that, as well as keeping them cool. Thanks for reading

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:56 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: Outdoor open breeding without wild flies available? 120f
Beer Bandit wrote:
... I've got a ton of questions, so I'll just post all of the ones I can think of in here, or, should I make different topics for every one? If so, I can do that. For now, I'll compile everything.
Here is fine and welcome to our community.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:09 am
Profile Send private message WWW

Thank you

Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:54 am

Welcome! In regards of your grub bin getting too hot, that's a hard situation.. I can only think of shadow or perhaps an evaporate cooling mechanism? The less dense the grub bin is, the less heat the grubs will generate.. you are gonna have to play around, maybe look at peltier devices. I'm imaging a controlled peltier device hooked to a fan into a cooler to maintain the inside temperature of the cooler cool.

In regards to the humidity and rh, from my experience I dont think it's that important when mating, make sure your flies are hydrated and that should be it. I think humidity is more relevant for oviposition, since smells and odors travel better in the water particles suspended in air, and you want to make sure they smell your 'bait' easily.

For my outdoor 'mating chamber' enclosure I use a fishtank and works wonderfully. For a humidifier, I would recommend whats called a 'diffuser' since they are small, cheap and safe to operate.

I hope I helped somehow! Keep us posted on how it goes!

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:00 pm

I forgot to also mention, and I usually forget to do this in my setup as well.... separate a small batch of grubs from your original 20k. Do not let this small batch of grubs mature, because you will use them to sanitize and protect the incubation of the younglings as they hatch from eggs and are not capable of fighting the mold that might be formed on your incubation chamber.

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:15 pm

I'm not sure a peltier junction would really cool a large area. I suppose I could use a few of them, tho. I was thinking about some sort of evaporative cooling, actually. Or, I could just toss some dry food and ice cubes in there. Now that I think of it, I could just put frozen food/dog food in there. I didn't even think to try to keep some larvae to aid as an attracting or any of that stuff. I've got a lot of them that are still quite small. About a fifth of the size of the others. I will probably harvest some of them to try to keep from maturing. Should feeding less food, and keeping them cooler pretty much do the trick?

Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]