View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
 Small Scale Indoor Breeding 

Post Re: Small Scale Indoor Breeding
Well yes they do all appear to be the same size none is larger or smaller than the other.

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:02 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

I periodically remove about half the contents of the rearing tub in my system into a separate pail which is isolated from the bin so no additional eggs can be laid in the material. Details of this pail can be found in this post (link). Among other things this provides an opportunity to get an idea of the duration of the BSF life cycle in my indoor system.

The pail is checked daily and larvae that have crawled out of the tub are transferred back to the main bin. This time around the last dark prepupal larva was removed from the frass on 2016/04/14 after a period of 101 days. Temperatures ranged between 22.3°C and 28.0°C with an average of 25.0°C based on 99 spot readings. The pail was misted daily so the humidity would have been high. It was fed on the same schedule as the main bin.

The take away of this is that it can take over three months for larvae to grow from new hatchlings to prepupal larvae at these temperatures and humidity.

A total of 2485 larvae were transferred back to the main bin. This extrapolates to a total population of 4500 larvae in the rearing tub (907gm margarine container) of the main bin on 2016/01/04 based on the weights of frass transferred.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:23 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Flies aren't mating pretty sure I have both males and females. I give them moisture every now and then. A place to lay eggs. Bedding. And light 24/7.

Sun May 29, 2016 9:41 pm

Can't post a pic but my bin is a clear plastic storage tote with air holes.

Sun May 29, 2016 9:55 pm
Global Moderator

CG I don't know what advice to give you as you appear to have the right conditions for them to breed. I know it's got to be frustrating but I hope you'll hang in there and keep experimenting.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sun May 29, 2016 10:02 pm

Wish they made some sort of pheromone for black soldier flies. :lol:

Tue May 31, 2016 3:57 am
Global Moderator

I was away recently and used a raw potato as vacation food. I plan on 6 grams per day and feed a 96 gram (16 days X 6) piece of peeled potato.There was a bit of a surprise when I returned as a 60 grams of the potato remained. The exterior had dried out but it was still moist inside.

Luckily there was also a teaming mass of larvae under the potato when it was removed so the colony is OK. So what happened? It had been unseasonably hot before I left and the thermostat in my apartment had been turned down. It cooled off while I was away and there was no other heating of the bin. I think the bin cooled off enough that activity level of the larvae decreased so that not all the food was required. Low temperatures were also indicated by all larvae being under the surface of the frass in the rearing tub. My thermometers do not record daily temperatures but the minimums for the bin and rearing tub during the month were 19.2°C and 21.0°C, respectively.

The leftover potato was subsequently consumed by the larvae and the colony seems to have suffered no ill effects.

Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:57 pm

I think potatoes do have chemicals that help cool. And they are an antiperspirant that was just a fun fact.

Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:32 pm
Global Moderator

Once again in August the rearing tub in my system was almost full and about half the contents were removed. The details of this procedure are explained in this previous post (link).

BSFL are photophobic and this time I used a light to 'encourage' the larvae to migrate down while the upper material was removed in shallow lifts. This dramatically reduced the number of larvae in the material as compared to previous times. In addition the time was reduced by more than half compared to the last previous time. Numbers for the last three times are in the table below.

Attachment:
MaturationX3.jpg
MaturationX3.jpg [ 86.63 KiB | Viewed 5140 times ]

Using a light while removing the upper layer looks to be the best method for reducing the number of larvae in the removed material. I'm not sure why the duration was as short as it was but welcome the change.

Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:53 pm

Hi Boreal,

I must say I am very surprised to see a fellow Albertan with a passion for these insects.

I have read through your diaries and seen the transformations in your experiments and I must say I am completely fascinated.

I plan to start my own operation to try and achieve some sort of colony up here and will piggyback off a lot of your work if you don't mind!?

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:45 pm
Global Moderator

No problem at all, sharing info is what the forum is here for.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:57 pm

Attachment:
717iPrZk2PL._SL1500_.jpg
717iPrZk2PL._SL1500_.jpg [ 237.74 KiB | Viewed 4597 times ]

Just wanted to add about another type of enclosure that is roomy yet very inexpensive.
A kid's PLAYHUT like this from Amazon that is 35" x 35" x 34" and cost me less than $13.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JO ... UTF8&psc=1

Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:13 pm
Global Moderator

My indoor colony is still going although the website detailing my set up is gone. I added a second rearing tub a while back which seems to be working well with the original in the same confined space of my storage tote bin.

I noticed that food in one of the tubs was not being consumed at the same rate and took it out for a look. The only larvae to be found were large prepupal brown ones which is unusual as normally there's a range of ages and sizes. This tub was the older of the two and had a thick layer of empty puparia on the top. I'm guessing that the gravid females found that unattractive.

Anyways I transferred that tub into the maturation pail (described up thread) and moved half the contents of the remaining tub into a new one.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:11 am

I've been trying this without breeding success for a while now, haven't figured out a name for my future youtube channel and bug store yet so I haven't posted anything.

These flies hatched from store-bought larvae from last year that were well fed and then the pupae overwintered in this enclosure indoors, around 63F average daily temps. This window is west facing. They hatched when daily averages stayed above 70F. I started out with an LED grow light, but noticed activity levels increase in sunlight if I turn off the light.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jv3uia3HCQTWQ9Ks1

We've had lots of cloudy days lately so I upgraded lighting to photo full spectrum which definitely made a difference in activity, but not as good as sunlight. Even on days with great sunlight, I see them dance and flitter around but no mating and no eggs. I have recently changed by putting a small active colony of larvae in the bottom with a cardboard egg trap. Colony is eating old fruit, rabbit poop, and coffee grounds. Daytime temps right now are 75F at the bottom and 80F to 95F at the top. Night time about 73F. Not sure about humidity but its got to be good as there's a damp big flower pot in the bottom and I mist 3 times a day so I am sure it is over 50%. Is there enough room? Right now they are flying around but they keep crashing into the walls. Wondering if this is too small to mate in reliably?

105W full spectrum CFL

Another question, I'm near Denver, CO (USA). IF I move them to a vented enclosure outdoors for the summer, temps are approximately 91F on the hotter days and nights are 58 to62F. Humidity is quite low so I would likely add a mister. Is it too cold at night here?

Thanks for the advice guys!

Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:43 pm

why can't I edit that ?

Trying imgur for pictures since this doesn't seem to like google

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:20 pm
Global Moderator

marwood0 wrote:
... Is there enough room? Right now they are flying around but they keep crashing into the walls. Wondering if this is too small to mate in reliably?
It should be large enough. My bin is half the size of yours (just a single tote) and has been in continuous use since 2012.

Quote:
Another question, I'm near Denver, CO (USA). IF I move them to a vented enclosure outdoors for the summer, temps are approximately 91F on the hotter days and nights are 58 to62F. Humidity is quite low so I would likely add a mister. Is it too cold at night here?
I think that should be OK, although it will take longer in the mornings for the colony to warm up and become active.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:55 am
Global Moderator

marwood0 wrote:
why can't I edit that ?

Trying imgur for pictures since this doesn't seem to like google
How To Add Videos and Pictures To Your Posts(link)

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11