View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 High School / Small Scale 

Post High School / Small Scale
I am a high school science teacher in N Alabama. I am looking to raise BSF on a small scale in our classroom. Is there anything that I can use as a medim to 1 keep smell to a minimum? 2 keep the sludge from forming at the bottom. Id like to try to feed wet chicken feed and veggie waste from the lunchroom. I will consider going larger scale once the weather warms up and we can go outside. Any help would be appreciated.

Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:27 pm
Global Moderator

Post Re: High School / Small Scale
Jengland welcome to our forum :) If you'd like you can introduce yourself here (link).

Check out this thread for ideas Small Scale Indoor Breeding topic (link).

I would also caution you to not overfeed your bin which results in smells from the feed rotting before it can be consumed.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:32 am
Profile WWW

Can I use Coco fiber as a substrate?

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:04 pm
Global Moderator

Coco fiber will work as a substrate. You may want to separate the area where the larvae feed from where they'll eventually pupate. The latter is where coco fiber can be used as a medium for the larvae to burrow into to get away form the light (they're photophobic).

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:33 pm
Profile WWW

I was referring more to a substrate for the grow bins. Maybe feeding in a corner. I was hoping to avoid the food sludge they normally reside in.

Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:41 pm
Global Moderator

My bin is made from a storage tote. Is that about the size you're thinking of?

I have a couple of margarine tubs (2lb size) in the bin which I feed in. Tried a drainage system in these consisting of a false bottom made from landscape fabric but it quickly 'silted' off from the fine particals in the frass. Now I just manage the moisture by feeding wetter or drier material as required.

If you're wondering how the large scale folks to this I believe they're using feed stocks which are dry like spent brewers grains or similar. These are easy to manage and also allow the larve to be harvested by screening/sifting.

Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:32 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]