View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 What to do when you have overwhelmed the system? 

Post What to do when you have overwhelmed the system?
Greetings,

I finally decided to raise BSFL for my 7 chickens. I live within the city limits of Asheville, NC. Prior to starting, I watched hours of videos and built a Jerry Box (great directions btw). I thought I had it all figured out. Everything was going well for about a month and then tragedy broke. A loose dog killed all my chickens! So, I went from feeding my chickens BSFL to feeding my BSFL chickens. I decided to compost the chickens via the BSFL bin. The first chicken seemed to get consumed rapidly, so I added another...and then another - 3 chickens within a week. 4 days ago I went out to the bin and it was covered with flies! So Many Flies!!! (not BSF). Then white maggots began climbing the walls and falling in the collection bins. And there is the smell, it smells like I have murdered someone out there! It is so bad, the odor clings in my nasal passages and I can still smell it hours after I leave the area. I am sure the neighbors can smell it and just haven't had the nerve to try and figure out what is dead yet. I dread having to admit to feeding my beloved chickens into a larva bin and then overwhelming the system.

What do I do? If I just walk away from the whole mess, how long will it take to be consumed? Is there any way to speed up the process? If I add more fruit and veggies will that attract more BSFL? Any idea how long it will take to normalize the bin? Should I flush it daily or just leave it a while?

charcoal substrate
the drain has been left open to drain into my compost pile

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:39 pm
Global Moderator

Post Re: What to do when you have overwhelmed the system?
Sorry to hear about your misadventure. I don't know how long it would take for the non BSF larvae to consume the chicken carcasses. I'd garbage them and start over sticking to organics (vegetable matter).

How long did it take for your bin to get going initially?

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:22 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]