View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 What foods do BSF really like to eat, a list 

Post Re: What foods do BSF really like to eat, a list
Well, that certainly definitively answers THAT question! :D

Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Global Moderator

Thought I'd cross post this from Billy (link)

Jack fruit, or simply Artocarpus Heterophyllos :lol: , is abundant around Rio de Janeiro. Yesterday I happened across an old piece of jack fruit and thought it might be good to use as a fly attractor. When I scooped it up I noticed some mature larvae embedded in the very putrid remaining pulp and seeds and the obvious occurred to me. Jack fruit are very smelly and have what it takes to attract a smart fly! So I went for a walk with my son, a bucket and a spade. My son preferred to skateboard and pretend he did not know the bespecled man poking at putrid jack fruit at the side of the road! I found larvae of all ages! Some old guys actually eating off the inside of the rotting seeds. So, jack fruit can be a source of larvae. I took home a large bucket load of JF + BSFG and placed it on the top of my compost heap. The pieces with younger larvae I added to my BSF toilet and another piece I placed in my bucket for scraps which is also a fly attractor. The reason I let loose a large part of the grubs onto the heap is because I reckon they shall mature and have a nice place to pupate (in the leafy edges of the heap) and thus, in theory, there will be more flies around. Sort of free range cultivarion idea... Anyway, I'm enthusiastic about jack fruit being a source of grubs and look forward to poking around the bush to further find out more about this

Attachment:
JackFruitFrenzy.JPG
JackFruitFrenzy.JPG [ 395.92 KiB | Viewed 11084 times ]

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:05 am
Profile WWW

Thanks BW. In the susana forum the use of BSFG is discussed for human fecal sludge management. Prof Elisabeth is the moderator. One concern is that mature grubs might not be that clean upon leaving the fecal eating grounds... I suggested perhaps they should be diverted to a cleaner foodstuff just prior to taking their last walk and whilst still hungry...In this photo one can imagine that the grubs are having their coats cleaned whilst rolling around and burrowing tunnels in the sticky jack fruit. A bit of selfclean before self harvest!?

Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:04 am

Yesterday I was surprised to find a dead rat in my garden.

We get rats occasionally, I don't know zilch about rats, but these seem to me to be like wild rats, not like those one might see in the city, so I don't really like the idea of putting out poison, but the wife sometimes puts her foot down and extermination is done.

But this corpse I came across yesterday had not been poisoned. I know because I have had some horrible experiences removing rotten rodents from usually inaccessible places!

This particular rodent had its head removed!

Now how that happened I don't know. Perhaps it was an overflying falcon. Or a carnivorous grey squirrel? Maybe the dog. Rigoris mortem had not yet set in, I did not touch the body to see if it was warm, but it was definitely limp.

Well, guess where the remains went? On top of the jack fruit!

In no time the larvae were on the fresh offering.

24 hours later and I just cannot find any evidence of the rat on the jack fruit! Even with a magnifying glass. Not even wee bones or hair. I expected to at least see the fur, but nothing.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:28 am
Global Moderator

Billy you might enjoy "Rats" by Tarvus (link)

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:30 am
Profile WWW

I fed my larvae a couple of poisoned mice and they were dispatched in short order. I look forward to treating my next batch with a rat.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:01 pm
Site Admin

Rooster, you might want to consider the possibility that larvae which are fed poisoned animals may store the poison in their bodies, making them toxic to whatever may eat them. This effect has been documented with fly larvae that eat flesh tainted with botulism: LINK

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:48 am
Profile WWW

Interesting and informative link, Jerry - thanks. My first crop of larvae are destined to be used as breeding stock so won't have an opportunity to poison my fish or poultry. Besides, I doubt if a rodent poisoned with a blood thinning agent such as Warfarin is going to be particularly toxic when consumed by another organism.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:55 pm
Site Admin

Rooster wrote:
Besides, I doubt if a rodent poisoned with a blood thinning agent such as Warfarin is going to be particularly toxic when consumed by another organism.

That makes sense.

*I'm not an entomologist, and much of what I write about BSF is an educated guess.

Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:46 am
Profile WWW
Global Moderator

Moved my post over from the "Assembly and set up - questions and feedback" thread (link) It was a response to a post by gringojay (link)
BW

gringojay wrote:
... Also, regarding the juice pulp I use, I do not recycle the juice bar's citrus orange peels because they degrade so slow & my worm bins' capacity is limited. Some lemon peel fragments do show up in the pulp I recycle & those I do let into worm bins - so I'll let the BSF larvae get those fragments too. In a commercial operation I'd shred the orange/citrus peels by using something like a garbage disposal unit mounted outside of a sink & then there should be no problem mixing that shredded orange/citrus pulp into what are feeding BSF larvae.
This made me curious as I've never fed citrus peals to my BSFL. Mine is a very small indoor bin, basically just a margarine tub, so I only fed about a 3cm square piece of navel orange peel this morning. It was gone in a few hours so they do consume them unlike apple or potato peels.

Edit to add - It turned out that the orange peel was only submerged in larvae and resurfaced intact a couple of days later. So they do not readily consume orange peels

There's a bit of a myth about feeding orange peels to worm bins. It's often stated that the oils in the peels are toxic to worms. I think it's a matter of degree as I've fed citrus peels to my worm bin for years with no ill effects seen. I don't know how they'd do on a diet composed mostly of citrus peels but I do remember a old website that documented a juice bar with a thriving flow through worm bin handling their waste.

It will be interesting to see how your BSFL do on a diet of juice pulp and citrus peels.

Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin

I'm not sure about the peels, but I know that BSFL eat the flesh of citrus fruit.

Wed May 07, 2014 10:59 pm
Profile WWW

Hi Merkurmaniac. I found my BSF's loved cooked carrots and slivers of raw apple. I am trying cooked dry potato tonight. :P

Thu May 08, 2014 11:53 pm

I have a question. What is jackfruit? :?:

Fri May 09, 2014 12:01 am
Global Moderator

"Jack fruit, or simply Artocarpus Heterophyllos, is abundant around Rio de Janeiro." (link)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackfruit

Fri May 09, 2014 12:09 am
Profile WWW

They will readily eat damp cockroach droppings and damp wheat bran

Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:26 am
Profile WWW

i harvested my 1st larvae on a rotting jackfruit. they are so healty on just jack fruit diet.

Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:28 pm

Post What is it about celery that BSFL like ?
As Jerry says, BSFL don't like cululose, but they do seem to like celery which I thought was mostly fiber and water.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2