View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Hello from Northern Alberta, Canada 

Post Hello from Northern Alberta, Canada
Hi everyone!

My name is Adam. I am new to the BSF community but am eager and wanting to dive in head first.

I went to college for Greenhouse tech so I have had a few courses in botany and entomology. I am working with a friend who has spend almost a decade in the vegetable greenhouse growing and has since decide to move into insect protein. I am so intrigued and want to learn all I can as fast as I can.

I would like to build my own colony however I believe I am too far north to sustain any type of reoccurring population. Not to mention I am not even sure if there are BSF around here.

Anyways just thought I'd introduce myself and say hi!

I'll be reading and lurking around as much as possible. I hope to learn from and talk with many of you for years to come.

Regards,
Adam

Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:19 am
Global Moderator

Post Re: Hello from Northern Alberta, Canada
Adam welcome to our forum and greetings from a fellow Albertan. You're correct in your assumption the BSF are not native to our province. In Canada, there have only been possible sightings in the southern tip of Ontario and the lower mainland of BC (link).

I've been raising them experimentally indoors for a few years. See the Small Scale Indoor Breeding topic (link) for information.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:03 am
Profile WWW

Hi Boreal,

I spent much of last night looking through your journals. Tonight I plan to create my own plans based off what I have learned from you. DO you mind if I run them by you once I'm done?

Regards,
Adam

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:46 pm
Global Moderator

Questions are no problem, just ask them in the forum so others can benefit too.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]