View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Food Network Waste Stream 

Post Food Network Waste Stream
I volunteered at my local Food Network today. We spent a couple hours sorting frozen food. Most of it was fine for people, but some of it had to be rejected (ruptured packaging, etc.). I immediately started thinking about feeding this stuff to BSFL. When I asked the volunteer supervisor what they did with their waste food, he said that they had to simply throw it away rather than let it be used for animal feed or anything like that because of the regulations that govern their non-profit organization. He said that they had to "show that donated food went to feeding people and not animals".

I'm wondering what those rules are, exactly... wondering if there's wiggle room if the waste stream could be upcycled to say, tilapia. If a sizable percentage of these wasted calories could be put back into their pantries as fresh fish rather than feeding hordes of scavengers at the regional landfill... seems like a slam-dunk.

One drawback I see is that most of the food I saw get chucked into the gray bin today was meat-based. The plastic-wrapped styro trays tend to get broken/punctured.

I saw a Dirty Jobs episode where a hog farmer outside Las Vegas took in truckloads of wasted food from the city's many buffets. He processed it all into brown slop and fed it to them wet. I wonder if meat-heavy waste food could be processed into some kind of kibble that could be fed to BSFL on a large scale, and how much extra input that would require...

Thanks for reading my ramble... I've been out of the game for a while since we've moved to a new home. Been itching to start my own household-scale BSFL/aquaponics rig [back] up, and today's activities got me a little jazzed. ;)

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:29 pm
Profile Send private message
Global Moderator

Post Re: Food Network Waste Stream
jf371 wrote:
.. When I asked the volunteer supervisor what they did with their waste food, he said that they had to simply throw it away rather than let it be used for animal feed or anything like that because of the regulations that govern their non-profit organization.
That does seem a bit absurd.

Quote:
... One drawback I see is that most of the food I saw get chucked into the gray bin today was meat-based.
That could be a problem for BSFL although some of the large commercial outfits use preconsumer food waste. I seem to remember one using 'chicken nuggets'

Quote:
I saw a Dirty Jobs episode where a hog farmer outside Las Vegas took in truckloads of wasted food from the city's many buffets. He processed it all into brown slop and fed it to them wet.
That would be ideal as hogs are not known for their discerning palate ;) . I wonder if zoos would be interested in frozen waste meats?

Quote:
... I wonder if meat-heavy waste food could be processed into some kind of kibble that could be fed to BSFL on a large scale, and how much extra input that would require...
If the kibble formula was successful it might be possible to bypass the BSFL and feed it directly to the fish.

Quote:
...Thanks for reading my ramble... I've been out of the game for a while since we've moved to a new home. Been itching to start my own household-scale BSFL/aquaponics rig [back] up, and today's activities got me a little jazzed. ;)
Thank you for a thought provoking post.

On the topic of uses for preconsumer waste foods there have been a couple of stories recently about M&Ms (the candy) and raw bread dough being recycled as feed for cattle.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:51 pm
Profile Send private message WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]