View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 When does your local population go dormant for the winter? 

Post When does your local population go dormant for the winter?
As of yesterday we are still seeing BSF flying around here in Leavenworth, KS. I have noticed that any BSFL kept outside have slowed way down, some to the point that you don't see them move. our night time temps are dropping down into the mid to upper 40's, but day time temps are still hitting the mid to upper 70's. I recently completed a new "Bug Barracks" (thanks Tarvus for such a great design) I set it up in my garage, and over the past few days have noticed the activity level sky rocket. I have yet to take temps in there, but so far it's working. Now I just need to get some insulation and finish building the walls to my bug room. With any luck I can keep them going all winter.

Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:34 pm
Profile Send private message WWW

Post Re: When does your local population go dormant for the winte
DustinT wrote:
As of yesterday we are still seeing BSF flying around here in Leavenworth, KS. I have noticed that any BSFL kept outside have slowed way down, some to the point that you don't see them move. our night time temps are dropping down into the mid to upper 40's, but day time temps are still hitting the mid to upper 70's. I recently completed a new "Bug Barracks" (thanks Tarvus for such a great design) I set it up in my garage, and over the past few days have noticed the activity level sky rocket. I have yet to take temps in there, but so far it's working. Now I just need to get some insulation and finish building the walls to my bug room. With any luck I can keep them going all winter.

Not sure when they stop but I can tell you that I still have them flying around as well:) I'm in Huntington Beach, CA and at night time lows it's been in the 60's.

Will be able to keep them outdoors year round here??

Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:03 am
Global Moderator

Please keep reporting your observations. There was a report online (now gone) documenting an insulated outdoor bin in Eugene, Oregon which stayed active over winter. Basically the BSFL seem to use all their energy to stay warm and don't mature or crawl off.

It would be great if this could be recreated to verify that a BSFL colony can be kept through winter in colder climates.

I Believe The Black Soldier Fly Has The Potential To Be A Beneficial Insect Second Only To Pollinating Bees

Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:36 am

mat2dong wrote:
Not sure when they stop but I can tell you that I still have them flying around as well:) I'm in Huntington Beach, CA and at night time lows it's been in the 60's.

Will be able to keep them outdoors year round here??

I just checked the average low temps for your area and it says it rarely drops below 40F. I would think you will see a drastic decline in production, but, I think you should continue to see them year round. Keep an eye on them and let us know what happens.

Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:10 pm

Well I've still seen some flying around at work. I work for the solid waste department of our city works. Yeah I'm a trash man. I actually end up with BSF following the truck! It has also been warmer than it should be this time of year for northern Kansas. Anyways, I finished my Brian Travis Bug Barracks not to long ago and put it in a corner of my garage, then dumped my older colonies into it. Since moving them into the garage I have seen a major increase in activity, they are consuming food as fast as I can add it, and if I leave them alone too long the younger BSFL start trying to crawl off in search of food. At least that seems to be the issue, because when I add food they go back down into the bin. I saved some of my BSFL and let them pupate then released them into my garage around the bin, there were probably 6 or so. Today I found a nice large cluster of eggs. I'm also just about done building my "Bug Room" enclosing that corner of my garage. I still need to insulate it and wire in my light above the bin area, but with any luck maybe I can keep production up all winter. So far all is going well. When I can I will take some pics of my set up and get them posted. I was also thinking next spring I will add a dryer vent near the bin so that during the summer I can attract new females to the bin without moving it back outside. And when it gets cold again I can cover the vent to keep adult flies in and the cold out.

Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:38 am

Well it seems, at least for this year the end of Oct. marks the end of the BSF. I haven't seen any adults emerge outside in about a week.

Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:29 pm

DustinT wrote:
Well it seems, at least for this year the end of Oct. marks the end of the BSF. I haven't seen any adults emerge outside in about a week.

Yep, same here. I still have larvae:)

Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]